Construction of the factory to be located in the metropolitan area of Mérida, Yucatán will begin next year and its vocation will be to serve mainly the domestic market; this is the second investment announcement in the sector in less than a month.
Upon announcing the injection of 8.7 billion pesos for the construction of its eighth beer plant in the country, Heinekein Mexico announced that the complex to be located in the state of Yucatan will continue its expansion in the coming years, for which there will be more investment announcements.
The general director of Heinekein Mexico, Guillaume Duverdier, informed that the construction of the factory, which will be located in the municipality of Kanasín -conurbed to the municipality of Mérida- “will start in 2024 and the first production will begin in 2026, in a first phase and we leave the possibility of opening new production lines in the future due to the development of the market”.
During the investment announcement ceremony, the executive assured that “Mexico is one of the most important operations for the company”, and informed that a plant will be built with “state-of-the-art and sustainable” technology. The plant, he informed, will use renewable energy, as part of the energy development undertaken in the southeast.
Yucatán, Mexico, the home of a new star”, where 2,000 jobs will be generated, he highlighted.
For the brewing industry, Mexico offers opportunities to grow, and “in the southeast we have seen that there is potential,” said Duverdier.
In a subsequent interview, he said that the new plant, considered “world class”, will supply the southeastern Mexican market with 90% of its production, while the remaining 10% will be sent to the United States.
“Depending on the growth of the market we will invest more,” assured Heinekein’s CEO, arguing that given the growing demand in consumption, “we needed greater production capacity (and) taking into account several criteria to know where was the best place to diversify, as well as infrastructure and support from the authorities, we concluded that Yucatan meets all these requirements.”
The company works with 5, 10 and 15-year plans and as markets develop, forecasts are refined, “when the first stone of the plant is laid, the production data in volume of liters will be announced”.
The brewery intends to start operations in 2026, with the production of emblematic brands such as: Amstel Ultra, Superior, Tecate, Sol, Dos Equis, Bohemia, Indio and Carta Blanca.
The executive mentioned that this project will be “responsible” with the environment and there is a commitment to use less water for brewing. This is 1.8 liters of water per liter of beer, taking into account that it currently uses 2.4 liters, and the world average is 3.5 liters.
Present at the ceremony, the Secretary of Economy, Raquel Buenrostro, added: “The new beer plant (of Heineken) with the implementation of green technology and the efficient use of natural resources is part of this government’s policy to install investments in the Mexican Southeast”.
Mauricio Vila, governor of Yucatán, committed to liaise with local governments to take advantage of infrastructure projects such as the Mayan train and the Isthmus of Tehuantepec route.
Mexico strengthened its position as the world’s leading beer exporter in 2022, with shipments of 6.031 billion dollars, a year-on-year increase of 7.4% and a record.
In the world ranking, the Netherlands ranked second, with US$2,157 million, reflecting a 0.4% drop in 2022 over 2021.
Subsequent positions were occupied by Belgium ($1.677 billion, down 16.2 percent), Germany ($1.205 billion, down 14.4 percent) and the United Kingdom ($598 million, up 5.3 percent).
In 2021, Mexico sent 96% of its total beer exports to the United States, and a year earlier that coverage was 92%.
In addition to Heineken, U.S.-based Constellations Brands is also working to expand its production capacity in Mexico.
Constellations Brands is building a new beer production plant in Veracruz, where it will mainly invest 1 billion dollars programmed for 2023, investments that are part of a multi-year amount earmarked for the project.
Also in the brewing sector, in mid-August Grupo Modelo and Millfoods announced that they will invest 300 million dollars to build a corn processing plant for beer production, to be located in the municipality of Salamanca, Guanajuato.
The plant will produce corn grits and process grain harvested in Mexico, which will also serve to replace imports.
Source: El Economista